The following story was taken from the book The Power of Praying Together by Stormie OMartian with Jack Hayford.
“Why We Find Strength in Unity
When Pastor Jack Hayford was a young teenager, he heard a missionary lady tell how she was trapped with some people in a dry riverbed just as a flash flood came. The people immediately joined hands and withstood that danger by strengthening each other. As they united against the sweeping waters, their lives were spared.
That is exactly what a prayer group does. People join together to stand strong against things that would seek to wash away their lives and destroy them. The Bible says that rather than be anxious about our lives, we are to pray about them (Phil. 4:6-7). And when we find ourselves in serious circumstances, we are to stand united with other believers and pray for one another” (106).
How do you begin to have a friend or group of friends praying for you?
1. Ask God to reveal to you who is a trustworthy, praying person who loves you enough to take time on a regular basis to pray for you.
2. As God reveals, ask each woman to prayerfully consider this commitment.
3. Let each friend know it is two-way street with your willingness to pray as well for them. Your prayer team members not need to know each other. Once a month, I copy and paste my basic email to each woman. Then, I personalize the beginning where I share how I have been praying for each woman’s needs. Look for a friend or an inner circle of friends who will lift you up. Proverbs 17:17. My team is local so I have them over once a year for a prayer breakfast where we eat, chat, and prayer for one another.
TakeAwayTruth-Prayer partners help us to press on.
Now, I would love to hear from you. Answer one of these two questions:
1. When it comes to asking someone to be a prayer partner, what has held you back-Is it fear, time commitment, or not wanting to bother someone?
2. What area of your ministry or life would improve dramatically if you could partner in prayer with someone? Is it having more peace or confidence or wisdom for example?
You can one or both questions in the comments below.
Lord, thank you for the blessings and benefits of praying for one another. Amen.